Sunday, August 14, 2011

Walkway Greeters


When you walk up the path to my home, I would love to have some sort of tree to greet you.  Weeping mulberry is probably the most common greeter that I see, but there are a lot of others especially those that have been grafted onto a standard stem as shown here:

Weeping Cherry Standard
http://crisinor.blogspot.com/

One type of weeping specimen that I do not see often is the wisteria vine. I am the sort of person that has a lot of different projects on the go. Usually I just have to get them started and they will eventually get finished. One project that I have been meaning to attempt is to grow the wisteria vine into a tree. I have seen it done in the past and my understanding is that the Chinese variety is the strongest and therefore best choice when creating a tree version of this plant. However, it should be noted that the Chinese wisteria sinensis and Japanese wisteria floribunda are more invasive then the American Wisteria trees. It should also be noted that it can take up to 10 years for these plants to bloom!! Some patients is required.

Wisteria
http://www.jcbakker.com/

Recently, at my place of work, a type of magnolia arrived that came as sort of a mystery as to where i came from. The mystery has not been solved, but the type of magnolia has. It is a Magnolia Marillyn. A result of a hybrid cross between a Kobus and a Lilliflora. Absolutely stunning! I also like as, ( a person that does have to clean up after magnolias,) that the blooms are large and beautiful, but there seems to be fewer of them which allows for less clean-up! Never-the-less, an absolute stunner!


Magnolia "Marillyn"
http://www.buchholznursery.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment