Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Bulbs Part 1

It is the middle of August and already I am thinking about the bulbs I will be planting for next year. Bulbs are fun and are great for cut flowers. Currently, my gladiolas are blooming away and before they flop over, I prune them back and put the cutting in my kitchen. I have already decided to plant more for next year!



                                                                               Source: telegraph.co.uk via Meg on Pinterest

A late summer garden enhanced by bulbs


I could probably make a blog on just gladiolas alone. I live in Ontario, north of Toronto and If I leave my bulbs in the ground, some will come up in the spring. I do take some of the corms out in the fall and keep them in my basement, just incase the bulbs don't make it through an especially harsh winter. Always a possibility!

Gladiolas in the garden                                                                              
                                                                          Source: deverborgentuinenvoorst.nl via Meg on Pinterest


The Dahlias are another fantastic bulb that has such a range of colours and sizes. We have a few that in the right conditions can grow to almost 6ft tall! The flower of Mexico, it is another late summer bloomer.

Source: google.com via Meg on Pinterest


They don't bloom until Spring, but Alliums are one of my favourite bulbs. The walking onion is really a cool variety and this time of year I go out to the garden and pick the onion from the top! I cooked it over the weekend and it was delicious!







I found this site  to be a great source for more information on bulbs: http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G6620



No comments:

Post a Comment